I’m working on a multi-week hackathon with two other people. And yes, apparently a multi-week hackathon is a real “thing”… even if we are the ones who invented it. ANYhow, we decided to use VSO and an Azure website.
Setting up continuous delivery:
The simplest way to do this is to create a new Azure “website”
At the end, it will ask if you want to wire it up to a Visual Studio Online (VSO) project – choose yes, and specify the project. This will create a Build Definition in your VSO project and it should just work. When you check in your source code, VSO will kick off a build and then deliver it to your Azure website. Easy, peasy.
The first sign of trouble…
When I set this up, it worked. However, I was a little surprised at how long the builds were taking. If I build this tiny solution on my workstation, it takes less than a second. On the build controller, it was taking ~:04 minutes to stage and then ~:05+ minutes to build. Hmm, that’s strange. But OK, maybe the build server is busy – this is a free service, after all!
The day the builds stopped.
I set up our project on Wednesday of this week – and today is Saturday. We’ve had a couple check-ins per day, but only got continuous delivery working yesterday. Well this morning, after checking in some code – I got an e-mail saying that the build stopped because I used all of my build minutes. Here’s the e-mail I got (if you set up e-mail notifications):
Now, that link actually points here:
It explains the whole situation. As part of the free tier of VSO, I only get :60 minutes of build time per month. If the builds ran sub-second on their machines, that would be more than fine –
However, because my sub-second build takes :10+ minutes on Azure, that means I have around 6 free builds per month that I can do. Ugh.
OK, fair enough – let me enable more, I have money left on my monthly MSDN credit. I got into the right blade on the Azure portal:
I need to change the Build from Free to Paid, then click Save. I got the following message (highlighting, mine):
I can’t use MSDN, I have to pay out of pocket. Considering how many minutes the builds take – that would be about $.50 per build for this tiny project.
Just on principle, I’m not going to do that. We’ll just use a Publish Profile and manually publish.