I’m doing some clean-up on my computer and before I delete this, I thought I’d do a quick post on it. It’s been said that asymmetric encryption should be used for key-exchange (a la Diffie-Helman) because it’s too slow to do regular encryption.
Well, for a project I was working on, I did some simple time-trials to test this, and below is what I discovered.
And if you are interested in the raw data, here is it – below:
The first column is how many bytes I was trying to encrypt, the middle column is how long it too using AES-256, and the 3rd column is how long it took using an x.509 certificate.