In addition to maintaining my CISSP certification, a few years ago I spent some time getting an MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer certification:
This consisted of several exams to complete. However, I didn’t keep up with the newer versions of the frameworks. Now, although this certification is still active and valid, it’s not really upgradable and it’s definitely not current. So, I need to start back over.
One thing I learned is that the certification landscape has changed drastically! First, here are the certification avenues I might consider (which are developer-related):
MCSD: Web Applications (must renew every 2 years)
- 70-486 – Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Applications
- 70-487 – Developing Windows Azure and Web Services
MCSD: Windows Store Apps (must renew every 2 years)
- 70-483 – Programming in C#
- 70-484 – Essentials of Developing Windows Store Apps Using C#
- 70-485 – Advanced Windows Store App Development Using C#
MCSD: Application Lifecycle Management (must renew every 2 years)
- 70-496 – Administering Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012
- 70-497 – Software Testing with Visual Studio 2012
- 70-498 – Delivering Continuous Value with Visual Studio 2012 Application Lifecycle Management
- 70-506 – TS: Silverlight 4, Development
- 70-516 – TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- 70-599 – PRO: Designing and Developing Windows Phone Applications
MTA (any ONE certification, mainly for beginners)
- 70-361 – Software Development Fundamentals
- 70-362 – Windows Development Fundamentals
- 70-363 – Web Development Fundamentals
- 70-372 – .NET Fundamentals
- 70-373 – Mobile Development Fundamentals
- 70-374 – Gaming Development Fundamentals
- 70-375 – HTML5 App Development Fundamentals
- 70-379 – Software Testing Fundamentals
Because of the relevance of web, I decided to start with MCSD: Web Applications. So, I’m starting down the path to take those exams to get this certification.
In support of this, here is what I ordered for books (on Kindle):
- 70-486 – http://www.amazon.com/Exam-Ref-70-486-Developing-Applications-ebook/dp/B00F9ISTPG
- 70-487 – http://www.amazon.com/Exam-Ref-70-487-Developing-References-ebook/dp/B00GOG74ZS
Why did I pick these? Mainly because these are the only study materials (in terms of books) that I could find for each exam!
For webcasts or online training, it looks like Microsoft Virtual Academy has some courses too:
- 70-486 – http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/create-web-apps-with-asp-net and http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/developing-asp-net-mvc-4-web-applications-jump-start
- 70-487 – http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/developing-windows-azure-and-web-services-jump-start
I signed up for these (they are free), and plan to go through these as well.
Two motivations for me starting this now are A) work allots me some time to work on this in lieu of going to formal training class, and I’ve scheduled that time already and B) there is an offer from Microsoft where if you buy one exam, you get two addition vouchers! Click here for that 3-for-1 offer – it expires May 31, 2014. Also, follow @MSLearning on twitter to find out about deals like this in the future.
Also FYI – if you are interested in the MTA certification, see this link for a really good deal they have on free training, 20% of the exam, and a free second shot!
If you are pursuing any of these certifications, please reach out to me and let me know if you’ve found any good resources – thanks!