OK, so I have two machines at home and I upgraded them from Vista to Windows 7. Here’s what I found:
Dell Studio 540 (desktop)
This is a quad-core with 8GB of RAM. Did a fresh install. Here’s everything that worked fine:
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
- Office 2007 Professional
- OneNote 2007
- Winamp (latest)
- Free Download Manager (latest)
- Adobe Reader (latest)
- WinZip 12
- Visual Studio 2010 beta
- Expression Studio 3.0
- Virtual CloneDrive (to mount .iso files instead of burning a physical dvd)
- Nero 8
- Zune 3.0
- Mimo drivers (needed to install the drivers from here) – I have a Mimo 710
- Upek fingerprint reader (Windows update loaded the right driver, then used Control Panel | Biometrics to train)
So basically, I’ve had no issues at all. Everything is working, and is plenty snappy.
Dell Studio 15 (laptop)
This is a dual-core with 4GB of RAM. Basically, I run the same setup, same software. The only exceptions were:
- Integrated webcam – cannot get to work. I’m about out of ideas, here.
- Integrated fingerprint reader – uninstall and remove everything from Dell. Then, "Upgrade driver" and let WindowsUpdate find the driver, then use Control Panel | Biometrics to train it with your fingerprints.)
So needless to say, I’m pretty happy with the upgrade!